The role and the responsibilities of Contract Managers under contract management process, vary on different parameters. It shall be noted that the scope depends also on the line of responsibility, accountability and authority in an organization. For instance, in one organization the Contract Manager may be reporting to the Commercial Manager and in another it could be vice versa. The difference between the positions of Contract Manager and Commercial Manager vary depending on the business function of the organization. This difference is well marked in organizations where contract management function is well established.
In general, a Contract Manager has to possess listed skills below;
- interpersonal and proactive skills;
- Strongly analytical in relation to mapping and improving the necessary interactions between business functions, customers and suppliers;
- Able to implement and facilitate the necessary communication and reporting lines;
- Able to establish the necessary leadership, teams and effective delegation of responsibility;
- Open-minded towards other business functions and cultures, and able to understand their goals, techniques, methods and cultures;
- Encouraging communication and willingness to share knowledge and information;
- Facilitating openness to constructive feedback without emotional bias;
- Encouraging teamwork, networking, responsiveness, ethical, emphatic and social thinking;
- Outcome-oriented, and able to reach compromise between different interests, without the lack of the ability to take decisions.
- Handle on-going issues and change management.
- Monitor transaction compliance and oversee Service Level Agreement compliance (milestones, deliverables, invoicing etc.).
- Maintain deadlines on deliverables and communicate on an ongoing basis with business partners and internal clients about contractual issues.
- Ensure contract close-out, extension or renewal.